Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Shout Out to Syracuse Airport!

I had a quick trip to the state of New York this week.  First time to Syracuse - and truthfully, it was just a fly in and out as my work was in Binghamton.  Two positive things to say about this airport:

1.  Free wireless.  Why don't all airports have free wireless access?  (hello to whoever runs OHare airport).

2.  An amazing, educational area - all about flying.  The first part of this area was a climbing/slide area - well designed and I'm sure would be popular with kids.
As I continued my exploration, I noticed several glassed in cases with a variety of information about flying. Notice the overhead sign "How Planes Fly" and the picture of the runway (on the left side of the photo)

They had parts of a dismantled 727 jet on display.  In the upper level, the flight deck was on display along with a sign describing "how to take off".




In the lower level, a section of the plane cut out so you could see not only the passenger section, but also the wiring just inside the outer layer and the cargo space.






There was a luggage cart - the kind you see outside delivering luggage planeside.

I wondered why this display was outside the security area as it would be a great diversion for kids while waiting for a flight.  On the other hand, I wonder if it is a "field trip" destination for schools as I'm not sure I've seen a better educational display of airplanes and airports.  It was fabulous! 

My second thought was why don't the big airports (Chicago Ohare, Dallas/Fort Worth, Miami) have something similar.  While I've noticed some small play areas inside these airports, I've not seen anything like this. 

Big thumbs up to the Syracuse airport!!!



1 comment:

  1. Neat. And free wifi will happen everywhere...someday.

    ReplyDelete