Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Effingham IL - small but worth some exploration

Last night I posted a comment on Facebook about a long drive to the southern tip of Indiana and how I didn't see anything very interesting on the drive other than a coyote. I shared that story at the hospital where I was today and one of the guys said "you didn't think the giant cross was interesting?"   I knew immediately what he was referencing as I have passed by it many, many times.

Located alongside the intersection of Interstates - I-57 and _70 at Effingham, IL - the cross is 198 ft tall (<200ft to avoid the FFA requirement of a flashing light at the top), 113 ft wide.  180 tons of steel, built to stand strong in winds up to 145 mph (what did we ever do without Google???). 

I have never taken the time to stop and check it out up close, but I have put that on my list of  "things to do" on my Harley as they have a "Blessing of the Bikes" on April 9.  After the short service, the riders are invited to The Harley Barn (the Harley Davidson shop in Effingham). 

If you are ever in the Effingham area, there is another stop that I recommend and that is the Boos Block's outlet store.  In case you're not familiar with this company, they make amazing wood butcher blocks.  I've seen them at high-end kitchen stores for big $$.  At the outlet store you can get them for great prices...usually because there's a small flaw - sometimes just the way the woodgrain looks.  They sell other kitchen items including stainless steel tables, butcher block tables and knives.  If my kitchen were wider, I'd be getting one of the butcher block tables.  They are beautiful.  It's amazing to me that this world-famous company is in this small town downstate IL. 

3 in x 18 in.  Weighs 36 lbs.  Retails for $145.  A fraction of that price at the outlet store.
One other Effingham stop I have yet to make is the Firefly Grill.  Maybe I'll make it a 3-in-1 stop in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment