Saturday, February 19, 2011

"What kind of shoes are those?"

Its been almost a year since I wrote about shoes.  That particular blog was written after I read an article that said women should never wear sneakers/tennis shoes with jeans.

I started this one a few months ago after I ran into a guy I hadn't seen for several months - and the first words out his mouth were "what kind of shoes are those?".
"what kind of shoes are those"

Now I admit that my days of really caring about what kind of shoes I wear (at least in terms of fashion) are long gone.  When I'm on a work trip, my shoe selection is based on what I can run in should I have to race across O'Hare airport and what slides on and off really fast when I'm in the security line.

However, his comment stuck with me for a while, so for the next few weeks, I started a shoe observation project while traipsing through airports all over the country. My hypothesis going into this was that it was primarily younger women (20-somethings) who wear "high fashion" shoes. So, I photographed dozens of pairs of shoes and got interesting insights from the women wearing them.

These were the first shoes that caught my eye because I'd never seen anything like them.  The lady wearing them told me she was wearing them because they were really comfortable.  They looked to me like the kind of shoes we wear on boating trips - except ours don't have the toe shapes.  And, yes, she was "older".


The next woman I talked to was an American Airlines flight attendant.  I told her I was doing some informal research about women's shoes.  I shared the guy's comment with her - the one that started me down this path.   Her perspective?  She suggested I start asking for marital status.  She's 41 y/o, divorced and wants to look sexy and attractive - with the goal of finding husband #2.  She also shared that she was Puerto Rican and believes hispanic women are more into shoe fashion. 
41 y/o divorced flight attendant
So the next woman I chatted with had on these lovely red heels and she negated the flight attendant's theory and mine as she is in her 50's and happily married.

50's and happily married
The owner of these shoes was African American - and her theory is that African American women are more adventuresome in their footwear.  She thought there might be something to marital status as well as she is 36 y/o and divorced.
 The owner of these shoes (28 and single) said that Asian women are more into shoes.  She's Japanese.

28 y/o, single, Japanese
The owner of these boots agreed with that theory - she's in her 40's, married, and Asian
40's, married and Asian

One of the more fun conversations was with the owner of these shoes at O'Hare airport.  In her 50's and owner of a "fake husband" of 18 years, she said her shoe choice is largely driven by her profession (hair stylist).  

50's, technically single, but in a long term relationship
Over a span of a few weeks, I met some very interesting, funny and nice women.  What really surprised me was that every woman I stopped - regardless of age, race or language barrier - was willing to spend a few moments discussing their shoes and they all happily posed while I photographed their shoes.  Did I reach any big conclusions about women and shoes?  Not really other than some women are more willing to sacrifice comfort for style - and there doesn't seem to be a unique reason why.  I still wonder- everytime I'm walking through a busy airport - how some of them make it look effortless when I know it isn't!  I don't care if those 4 inch heels cost $800 - you'll never convince me they still feel good when you've walked from concourse G to the end of concourse K.  But they sure look good!!

As to my friend...the next time I run into him I hope I'm in my Harley boots!! 

2 comments:

  1. Jan, thanks so much for posting this! Very interesting and I thought I was the only one of my age who would wear such shoes! How fun....you have made an 'mature lady' feel young! It was fun getting to meet you and talk with you at O'Hare .....keep up the fun research! I'm up for a blog on 'mature ladies' riding motorcycles! lol
    Laurie Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie - about 6 weeks away from some regular harley updates. I'll make sure to do one featuring the lady riders! Maybe I'll make it up there this summer!

    ReplyDelete