Friday, July 22, 2011

Dawn Gibeau - thank you for serving our country! (hails from Custer, SD)

I stopped at a rest area coming home from Indianapolis and as I'm walking back to my car, I spot a South Dakota license plate.
I am my mother's daughter (she doesn't know a stranger) so, knowing I'll be headed to SD in a couple of weeks, I struck up a conversation with the young lady sitting in the driver's seat.
Dawn was enroute home, to Custer, SD (close to Sturgis and in the midst of some great riding...or at least what I hear/read is great riding).  Her parents live in Rapid City.  She is in the Navy (18 months) and just finished training in Virginia.  She'll visit home, then she's headed to the state of Washington where she'll board an aircraft carrier.  Her specialty is fire (OK, Dawn, I forgot you exact title...wish I had written that down!)  She'll join 5000 other sailors on the ship!

When I told her I'd be headed to SD for bike week, she shared some great tips (one tip - eat a buffalo burger).  What are the odds I'd run into someone from Custer, SD at a rest stop right before I head up there? 

Dawn, I hope you make it home safe and sound, and then on to Washington.  Thank you for serving our country!! I'll see you on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment