Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Chicago - great place to visit

I spent a couple of days in Chicago this week attending a conference.  4000 healthcare executives - you can imagine the buzz on Monday due to the passage of the healthcare reform bill Sunday night.  Several speakers said they had to scrap portions of their presentations and re-write them.  Let's just say it was lively with lots of different perspectives.  I'm not going to focus on that - I want to focus on the city.

I've never quite understood the rationale for having a conference in Chicago in March.  The weather is unpredictable (snowed Saturday) and even if the temperatures aren't bad, its usually super windy.  That said, I love Chicago and always enjoy a visit.


My youngest son, Ryan, lives in Chicago.  Had dinner Sunday evening with him, his fiance - Stella, and her mom.




Stella's mom is also a nurse.  She works in surgery, specializing in open heart procedures.






Took a walk down Michigan Avenue and stopped to gawk at the window washers.  I have no idea how much money they make for essentially hanging from a rope, but I hope its a lot!



The crane messing up my picture is on the site of the future high rise condo building being built by the Ritz Carlton.  I'm very sad about this as its on the former site of the Garrett popcorn shop (BEST caramel corn anywhere!).  The good news is there is now a Garrett's shop in terminal 3 at O'Hare.  I'm a purist - I like the caramel corn all by itself but I think I'm in the minority as most people seem to order it mixed with the cheese corn.  If you haven't tried it, you're missing out.

Played tourist Monday evening and met a friend at the top of the Hancock building.  In all the years I've been going to Chicago (actually spent the last 3 years of my undergrad program up there) I've never taken the time to do this.    If you're in Chicago on a clear day/evening, head on up - its well worth the short elevator ride (and the expensive beverages!)




Took the Amtrak train home this evening.  Interesting mix of people riding the train although the majority seemed to be college kids or families on spring break.  Can't say I'd want to do a really long train trip, but for $27 round trip, what a deal!  (especially when the Chicago hotels downtown are charging $50/day to park your car.)  I hear we're getting a high speed train that will reduce the 2 1/2 hour trip to 40 minutes....wonder if that's just a rumor.

















2 comments:

  1. I prefer the cheese-corn by itself, followed by a bit of caramel-corn for "dessert".

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kind of town! Love the photos from the Hancock. I remember going to the top with my family years ago.

    Congrats on Ryan's engagement!

    ReplyDelete