Monday, March 1, 2010

A lively travel day - dusted off my nursing license and met Captain Sully

March 1, 2010

While it doesn't always feel this way, most travel days are pretty much uneventful.  (ok, so this time of year it doesn't feel this way - think winter, snow, Chicago).  Today was a little more "interesting".  I helped a sick passenger on a flight AND met Captain Sullenberger.

I traveled from Tampa, FL to Dallas, TX, to Charlotte, NC.  My original flights would have had me in Charlotte around midnight.  However, I lucked out and got on earlier flights - even got upgraded (hmmm....in hindsight I should have bought a lottery ticket tonight as luck seemed to be with me!).

Back to the flights....about an hour into the first flight, the flight attendant gets on the intercom and asks anyone with a medical or nursing license to press their call light.  I didn't initially respond, figuring there probably were some physicians on board.  No responses - so I let the flight attendant know I am a licensed RN.  (they actually checked my license..which I fortunately had with me...I don't always carry it). 

Side note:  last time this happened, there was a lady in the back of the plane having a heart attack. She was very fortunate that there were 3 doctors on board who initiated some treatment and monitored her during the time it took to divert the plane to Colorado Springs (instead of our Calif destination).  I've never seen  a plane get on the ground so fast, with such cooperative passengers.  Amazing!

Today's issue - there was a passenger in the back of the plane who kept passing out.  I won't go into the clinical details of the situation, but it was interesting on a number of fronts - from her being sick, to participating in decisions about whether or not the plane needed to be diverted.  I learned that its impossible to take a blood pressure the normal way when you're in the back of the plane due to the noise of the jet engines.  I also learned that you shouldn't assume a passenger is a U.S. citizen - as I did when I was asking her questions to see how oriented she was ("what's your name?",  "who is the president?" etc).  She knew the name of the president but her husband was quick to point out she's Canadian which lead to an interesting discussion about how many U.S. citizens would know the answer if asked "who's the prime minister of Canada?"

I finally get to the hotel and am checking in when I hear a familiar voice...one that I immediately recognized having heard him on TV many times.  I looked to my right and sure enough...it was Captain Sullenberger (Hudson River landing).  He was very nice and let me get a picture.  An American hero!!

2 comments:

  1. What an exciting travel day for you, Jan! Glad you were there to help the passenger; hope she was okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One never knows how being in the right place at the right time affects one's life! You are very photogenic with Capt Sully! On his announced day of retirement no less. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete