Tuesday, March 30, 2010

This one's for the ladies....do your shoes make you look fat?

On a recent evening flight I was reading a magazine and came across a Charla Krupp interview (I wasn't familiar with her but per the article, she has a new book out - "How to Never Look Fat Again").  The focus of the interview was cleaning out your closet and getting rid of what she calls "high fat" clothing.   In the interview, she says that wearing sneakers with jeans is a mistake - that it is a "high fat" combination.  Who knew?

As I walked through the airport after we landed, I started checking out women's shoes....wondering how many women were wearing that "high fat" combination....and did she have a point? 


I saw many many shoe styles (and boots!).  I'd have to say that the majority of shoes were sneakers followed by some other type of flat/comfort shoe.




Curious to see what reactions I would get, I stopped some of the women (ok it was evening and I had time to kill between flights) and asked them about their shoes, why they were wearing them, would they sacrifice comfort for style?  I also asked if I could take a picture of their shoes.  The reactions were surprising....well maybe not so surprising given how women feel about shoes....they loved it!  Not only did they let me take the picture but they were interested in sharing details about their shoes. 
 
 

One woman showed me the peace sign on the bottom of her shoes


One woman took her shoe off to show me the brand...and to share that she'd had her eye on this particular shoe for a few months (Nordstrom's) and that she waited until they were on sale to make the purchase ($500 shoes).  She swears they are as comfortable as wearing flats. (this was a flight attendant - wonder if she wears these throughout the flight?  I've noticed some flight attendants wear their "sexy" shoes through the airport and during boarding, then they change into more comfortable shoes for the rest of the flight).





This combination would no doubt get the approval of the book's author...jeans and heels.


Then there were the boots....lots of different boots


Boots with flowers













Cowgirl boots



















Lace up boots

















My favorite shoes were those worn by a very cute baby.








 Kate - notice her mama showed me the bottoms of the "shoes" (really socks) so I could find some for baby Stella




Personally, I don't wear sneakers when traveling because 1. they are a pain to take off and put back on during the security process and 2. they take up a ton of space in a suitcase.   I'm lazy...I wear slip on shoes that make the "take off and on" security process quick and easy.


 That said, not sure I'll ever put sneakers on with jeans and not wonder.....do these shoes make me look fat?

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Jan, your shoes don't make you look fat!

    BTW, Charla Krupp was a journalism major at U of I with me. We didn't know each other; she might have been a year older. She's famous and . . . I'm a mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, now that I Googled her, I see we both graduated in 1975. I know I had a class or two with her. You never know who's going to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok how funny is that? I didn't recognize the name but what's the likelihood I know someone who knows her? Was an interesting way to kill some time at the airport.

    ReplyDelete