Saturday, May 15, 2010

Airport security - Miami - was this guy a wanna be Chippendale dancer?

One of my more entertaining airport security experiences involved a Russian man.  He was in the security line next to me and as I get through the scanner and am retrieving my stuff, I notice he was stopped because he had set off the alarm.

TSA agent nicely asks him if he has anything in his pockets (he was wearing jeans).  The guy makes a big production of not understanding what he's being asked.  Normally, they will let you empty whatever is in your pockets and then go back through.  Not this guy - he continues his "no English, no English" routine.  So they take him to the area for extra screening - where they wand you and pat you down.  The TSA agent passes the wand over the front of this guy's body and when he reaches the front pockets of the jeans, the sensors go off in the wand. 

At this point the guy pulls one coin out of his pocket.  The TSA agent wands him again.  Still beeping.   A couple of additional TSA agents join the "party".  I have to say I was surprised how patient they were when trying to communicate what they wanted him to do ....which was to pull out the liner of his pockets so they could confirm there was nothing in them.  The guy pulls out another coin.  This process continues....as the guy gets louder and louder in his responses.  Then some Miami policemen arrive.  Still the guy is not cooperating.

During this process I'm slowly putting on my shoes and repacking my laptop etc because I was curious how this was going to get resolved. 

There were a few more attempts to get the guy to pull out the liner of his pockets....and finally, he pulls out a lighter.

The next thing they tried to get the guy to do was to take the waistband on the front of the jeans and fold it forward so the inside portion would be visible to the TSA agent.  The guy continued to be obtuse even though the TSA agent demonstrated what he wanted him to do. 

All of a sudden the guy unbottons his jeans and the next thing you know he dropped them to the floor and there he stood in his white jockey's.  Those of you who know me well know I like to take pictures of unusual things....but unfortunately they won't let you use your camera while you're inside the security area....so no picture.  It would have been a funny one. 

I leave the security area and head to my gate.  Guess who shows up to board the same plane?  Yep...Mr. "I'm intoxicated and I don't speak English".  I was surprised they let him board, actually....I thought maybe there were some rules about that.

Miami TSA agents should have won the "we're the nicest most patient TSA agents" award for that encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment