Friday, May 21, 2010

Airport security - should airlines send a reminder to passengers - "don't forget these rules"?

It never fails that when you're in the biggest hurry to get through airport security you encounter some type of delay due to a passenger trying to carry something through security that isn't allowed.

I guess its understandable, if you haven't flown since the liquid restrictions for carry-on bags were put in place, that you might not know that containers have to be 3 oz or less and all of them must be placed in a single quart-sized zip lock bag.  However, there are signs at every security area that provide detailed reminders....like this one



and this one....hadn't seen this one before.  It was at the John Wayne/Orange County airport

and this one...same airport (first and only airport where I've seen one specific to snowglobes...made me wonder why...are more snowglobes sold in the LA area???)

Side note:  you're really not supposed to take pictures in the security area...I've occassionally used my Blackberry to take a quick picture but they're usually not great quality.

I've observed various things being taken out of carry-on bags by TSA agents with passengers given the option to either take the bag (and the liquid item) back to check it, or throw it away, or on rare occassions, ship it home or to your destination (actually this is pretty rare but there are a few airports that have mailing envelopes right at the entrance to the security area.) 

What things slow down the process?



-Toothpaste (big tubes)
-Gel deodorant
-Make-up (liquid foundation) ...and generally you hear something like "I just paid $35 for that...I can't throw it away"
-Cologne..another item that usually is accompanied by a "but I just paid $xxx for that"...most recently it was a guy who said he paid $85 for the bottle (kind of made me want to sniff his neck to see if it was worth the $85)
-bottled water, usually stuck in a brief case (ok, full disclosure...I've been guilty of this...you have it in there during the day while you're working, you head to the airport and forget its in there).
-small bottles of lotion, usually from the hotel you just stayed in, loose in a purse or in your carry-on bag, but NOT in the ziplock bag...and ok, I've done this too, always when I've changed hotels during the stay and then forget to pack everything back up.

A co-worker of mine (AG) uses a gallon size ziplock bag instead of a quart-sized bag. She's never been stopped by a TSA agent when going through security. She doesn't fill the bag totally full so maybe they don't notice...although if a TSA agent can tell me I have a red apple in my briefcase, surely they can see the difference?

Side note:  prior to the liquid restriction, I used to always take the toiletries provided by the hotel.  When I lived in Charlotte, one of my co-workers (and fellow member of the Ladies of Harley club) collected them in a box and when the box got full, she'd take it to the women's shelter.  I did the same thing when I moved back here...until the new rule.  Now I only take the "good stuff", like Aveda products.  

So here's a question...is it stealing if you take the unused toiletries from your hotel room?

1 comment:

  1. Good question about whether or not it's stealing. I've wondered that myself.

    What do hotels do with all the half-used toiletries that aren't taken, that's my question.

    ReplyDelete