Saturday, May 8, 2010

How old is old?

I recently returned from a trip to Europe where one of the primary tourist activities was seeing "old" things - like cathedrals that were started in the 1200's.  I love history, probably instilled in me by my dad who was like a talking history book.  I am working on my pictures from that trip and plan to post some soon.  However, I had a short trip to Washington DC this week and while walking around late in the day I arrived, I came to the conclusion that while you may not see structures that were built in the 1200's, there are plenty of sights to catch your eye.

First, I think the White House is a structure to be proud of (I say this without politics in mind).  Its a beautiful building as are the grounds. 


Here I am up against the fence that surrounds the White House grounds.  It was actually pretty crowded with many people trying to get their picture taken with the White House in the background.  It was easy to trade cameras for the photo op.

While walking down the mall (where the museums are - not a shopping mall ) I came across a couple of items that were far older than any I saw in Europe. 
According to the plaque, this piece of petrified wood is 200 million years old. 
I'm wondering how they calculate the age...and what's the difference in a piece of petrified wood that is 1000 years old vs. 200 million years????

The wood was actually young compared the next item.

This is banded iron ore.  According to the plaque it is 2250 million years old (actually I wondered if that could be a typo...not sure I've ever seen/heard of something so old)



So I took a picture of that plaque, too, just for the record.
There were many other architectural "finds" that emphasized the fact that you don't have to leave the U.S.A. to see interesting architecture. 
I really liked this building...the First Amendment is engraved down the side.  Wouldn't it be great to have these types of reminders around us so we don't forget how this country came to be.














Driving to the Reagan airport I noticed a neighborhood undergoing gentrification (that word always makes me smile....fancy word used in cities where they are cleaning up the neighborhoods...my son, Ryan, lives in such a neighborhood in Chicago).  I like the fact that they are keeping the interesting rooflines intact.





A short trip but another great reminder that we live in the best country in world!


1 comment:

  1. Jan: Thanks for posting these reminders of great sights to see right here in our own backyard! But I still can't wait to see your Europe photos.

    ReplyDelete