Sunday, August 7, 2011

Day 2 (Sat)- the rest of the drive

Note : started this posting last night but it was 1am so I decided to finish it this morning. 

Sioux Falls, SD to Sturgis...who knew SD was such a wide state (well I knew it was wide, but just not 372 miles wide) - that's another 5 hrs.

It was a long drive, but the weather cooperated (except for 10 min or so of heavy rain as we drove through Rapid City this afternoon.)  I left the hotel in Sioux Falls knowing I was an hour or so ahead of Lynn and Rooney (they left Fri night and drove straight through).  They're not much into scenery and photography so I went ahead so I could make some scenic stops.  And there were some!

Saturday's observations:
-South Dakota gets prettier the further west you drive.   A song came to mind "O beautiful for spacious skies, for amber waves of grain" (well actually there weren't really waves as the grain had been harvested but amber nonetheless)


They bale a lot of hay and straw in South Dakota. They even bale what they cut on the side of the road

My new friends (future riding buddies), Terry and Pam, told me to watch for the Missouri river.   It was quite a view although I and several other Sturgis bound bikers were somewhat distracted by the sign that was on the path to the scenic view.



There were lots and lots of bikers on the road today!  Constant roar of mufflers going by.  Lots of fancy rigs hauling bikes.  (I'd post photos but I'm in a McDonalds and the wifi isn't great - later)

Arrived Sturgis midafternoon, set up "camp" then went riding.  Giant bars built at the edge of town are pretty popular.  We stopped at one that had an olympic sized swimming pool and some hot tubs.  To get into their "compound" you ride right through the bar.  Then went into Sturgis to eat dinner and walk around. 

More camping details coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment