Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Sturgis - Day 4 (Monday)

Got so wrapped up in my bike story, I forgot to mention I went to Wyoming yesterday.  First we went to Hill City, SD where we sat out the rain, then headed north (instead of south as was planned due to the storm path). 

Heading north, we stopped in Lead, SD.  I HATE riding on gravel but in order to get to the top for the view, you have to go up a gravel drive (I have no idea how long it is...but not short).  But at the top, some spectacular scenery.  This is the location where the winter scene of "Dances with Wolves was filmed.



Ran into a bridal party - destination wedding.  Kind of sweet - they vacationed together last year in Sturgis and returned this year to tie the knot. 

Quick stop at a little hole in the wall shop that sold what appeared to me to be extra large yard art.  I wantedto bring home one of these chickens but wasn't sure it would fit on the trailer.  What do you think?


one giant rooster for my yard?


Stopped at Belle Fourche, a small town where Butch Cassidy and his pal robbed a bank.  Also famous for being the geo center of the U.S.  (although technically its 11 miles away but kind of hard to get to).


The lady there suggested dinner at a steak house in Beulah Wyoming. Why not? Off we go to a teeny little town for a decent dinner. (I asked them if they were on Facebook so I could "check in" but no internet or cell service)




me with the bike - just in case you couldn't tell
 Chilly ride back to the campground where, as you've probably already read, I had a "great" night (NOT!).  Happily typing this from a king-sized super comfy bed after having a hot, steamy, CLEAN shower! 

Tomorrow (Wed) off to Devil's Tower - in Wyoming)

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget the Alpine in Hill City!!! Pam Schroeder

    ReplyDelete