Friday, August 12, 2011

Sturgis - Day 7: Buffalo

It was another great day in South Dakota!  I headed out for the Keystone area mid-morning with a plan to test the helmet mounted video camera.  The plan was to ride to Custer State Park and then Iron Mtn Road.

Ride out was great.  Was hoping to see some buffalo in the park.  When I rode in, I saw a huge herd way off in the distance.  Rode in a few more miles, took a short break to hook up the camera, then turned around and went back the same way.  I'm riding along when suddenly this is what I see next to the road

As you can see, I'm now pulled off the road.  I was headed right along side these big guys and decided that was a wee bit too close

this cowboy was sitting and watching - this is where I pulled off the road. I asked him if it was ok if I just sat there until those buffalo moved and he said sure
 So I sat on my bike and watched the herd head toward where I was parked. 
there were lots of mamas and babies

this guy is one of the reasons I pulled over
I headed on down the road and came upon another herd.  These guys/gals were all heading toward the road
headed toward the road

these guys were starting to run toward the pull-off area where a half dozen bikes were parked
Two guys - I assume park rangers - walked to the middle of the road, each with a long whip

I actually have this on video.  The crack of the whip scared the buffalo and they changed their minds about crossing the road right at this spot

 So they moved down a little ways and then crossed - lots of them running across the road

<>
you can see some of these big guys are running across the road, some a little slower
 all they wanted to do is get to a new grazing area
last "what to do/see in Sturgis" checked off my list!!

No comments:

Post a Comment