Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sturgis- Day 6. This vacation is not for wimps!

Long day today! Left the hotel at 8am and got back at 9:30pm.

In the morning, I rode 30 miles to meet Lynn and Rooney.  (remember, I vacated the campground)

Lynn (left) and Rooney.  Guys I've known for 20+ years from the Champaign Ski Club. 
From there we headed NW to Devil's Tower.  First national monument.  Interesting history specific to native Americans. 

that rock formation that appears to be growing out of my head is the Devil's Tower!  (notice I'm in leather chaps and my heavy jacket.  It was chilly this morning!)


From Devils' Tower, we headed to Hulett, WY (yep, second time to Wyoming this week). 

Side note:  the guys I've been riding with have been doing their best to convince me I would enjoy "side shows" that sometimes occur at various venues (drive-by's on the main drag at Sturgis, in a bar like Full Throttle etc).  Mostly I think this involves female nudity.  Why they think I would enjoy this, I do not know.  I will share that I did see a lot of shirtless men, most of whom,  frankly, should have remained "shirted".  Two examples:


this was my next-door neighbor at the campground.  This is the view I had almost anytime I was at the campground.  Does he not have a mother?  a sister?  Those of you who know me will be surprised to learn I did not intervene!  I should have as his own mother apparently has not.

This "vision" was in the restaurant where we ate lunch (Wall, SD)
So back to Hulett - apparently in years past, they celebrated "no panties Wednesday" but here, like Sturgis, nudity is not allowed anymore.  Nevertheless, bikers show up en mass.  We got there early, snagged an easy parking spot and ate lunch.  We sat with "locals" who shared some history about the event.  The guy on the left (photo below) said when this first started, his grandma and the "other old widder ladies" were opposed to the event, thinking bikers would be a rough group (they were basing this on their experience with the guys who come in for the rodeo...apparently they are pretty wild and love to fight).  After the first year, they sat in lawn chairs in the front yard to visit with all the bikers who parked on their street.  They loved it!
"locals" from Hulett, WY.  A fun group to chat with.  Lots of history about the area, great stories.
After lunch we walked around the town (small town, so maybe 2 blocks) and looked at vendors' wares.  I tried on a helmet I'd seen many bikers wearing.  Discovered it is very heavy...I have no idea how they wear this going 70mph. 
From there we rode to Montana.  Truthfully, I did this just so I could say I'd ridden in Montana.  Sounds like a big trip but if you check a map, you'll see Wyoming, South Dakota and Montana butt up against each other.


hard to tell, but that is the Montana state sign
 Lynn and Rooney were going on to see where Custer's big battle took place - another 150+ miles into Montana.  I decided not to go along as they were staying all night up there (and you know after the campground, I just wasn't sure I could trust their judgement :).  We stopped at a little hole-in-the-wall  bar to get a drink (best iced tea I think I've ever had - seriously).


I headed back to SD with the intent to ride the Spearfish Canyon again and dine at the Alpine Inn in Hill City (which Terry and Pam recommended).  So off I went on my own.  Turned out to be pretty easy.  I rode back through Belle Fourche, then Spearfish, then the Spearfish Canyon Scenic Bypass.  This was the second time this week but this time, since I was on my own, I could stop anywhere I wanted to take some pictures.  And stop I did!!  A few exhibits:


Terry, this one is for you...looked to be some type of military equipment out in the middle of nowhere (and honestly I don't remember if this was Wyoming or Montana).  There was another similar set-up in Wyoming past Devil's Tower that had a huge rotating satellite dish.  Something to do with the base?


Spearfish Canyon Bypass - Bridal Veil falls

fly fisherman....looked peaceful and relaxing



Side note:  whenever you make one of these scenic stops, its a very sociable time.  Conversation usually starts with someone reading my license plate (GDYUP) and asking me if I own a horse (and actually I rode ponies from age 4, had horses and did a fair amount of barrel racing and, compliments of a good friend whose dad bought expensive quarter horses and needed a second person to help show one of them in western pleasure events, I rode some quality horses - but that is not the reason for the license plate).  Today I ran into people from Joliet and Lasalle Peru, Oshkosh WI and IN - all Big Ten fans.

On to Hill City and the Alpine Inn where I waited an hour +, as Terry had warned me, to get a seat.  Waitress informs me there is no menu - you get a wedge of lettuce with ranch dressing, a filet (either 6 oz or 9oz), a baked potato and Texas toast.  $8.99 or $10.99.  Great service and an outstanding meal.  Some bikers told me they go there 2 or 3 times the week they're here. 

It was a really chilly ride back to the hotel - 25 miles.   Can't remember when I've felt so physically tired.  13 hour day, 220+ miles.  So thankful I came back to a hotel with a fabulous hot shower, fluffy towels and a super comfy king sized bed.  All is well with the world. 

I think tomorrow is my last day here ..... another solo day with, hopefully, lots of photo ops, people meet/greet and sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment