Monday, August 8, 2011

Sturgis - my humble abode

Several people have emailed me asking for photos of my tent and the campsite, so I took a few this morning.  This is the tent.  It's like the palace of tents in the campground (however, all you have to do is go around the curve of the camp road and you come across the monster RV's - now there are some palaces on wheels).
this is the screened room side....my bike is in there
other side of the tent
This building is what I call "hygiene central"  The green doors are individual showers - notice the long line of people waiting to shower.  (I'm not sure if they go to bed with all the road grime on them or if they shower at night when they get back and again in the morning). 

There are a set of doors on one end that are "private" toilets (I use the term private loosely as this is where you have a 7 ft block wall dividing you from the other campers - also coed, like the showers).  Then at the other end there are two separate rooms - one for the guys, one for the gals.  There are 4 sinks and probably 200 women so do the math.  Brushing your teeth in the morning can be challenging.  It truly does remind me of living in a college dorm - except there are far fewer sinks.  There's always lively conversation about important things like what moisturizer w suncreen you like vs. what flat iron works the best vs. is there any point in doing anything with your hair in the morning if all you're going to do is jump on your bike and mess it up.  All ages of women. 

Here's where the band plays at night...until 1am!  I could throw a rock and hit, that's how close it is.  Fortunately it was a good band, so I sat in my tent, had a glass of wine and enjoyed the music.  Waking up at 6am to the sound of the early birds starting their bikes was a tad bit early.


band building
 I don't mind the tent...in fact its been fine.  I do mind wet muddy floors in the showers (brought my flip flops), the lines for the toilets and the coed arrangement (I like men, just not in my personal space :).  So doubt if I'll camp again if the arrangements are like this.  But I will be coming back!!  The riding has been amazing.  So, off for another day of riding.  Had my McDonald's breakfast where there is an outlet to charge the camera battery and the phone.  More later....

No comments:

Post a Comment