Monday, August 1, 2011

Sturgis - the packing list (greatly impacted by the decision to camp)

For someone who is used to flying a lot, the thought of a long drive isn't too exciting. Should I reconsider and ride the bike? Can't - now that I've decided to camp, I need to take camping stuff, so car it is. (side note: I did check into shipping the bike and flying there - ok, really wimpy - but they wanted $700 just to transport the bike up there)

I toyed with the idea of driving straight through, but I decided to leave early Fri morning and drive until I don't feel like driving anymore.  If I can't get a hotel, I'll sleep in the back of the Tahoe. My friends from here plan to leave at 10pm and drive straight through.  I equate that to a "red eye" flight that leaves the west coast at midnight and gets you into Chicago at 6am.  Then you feel like crap all day.  I don't do those anymore unless I absolutely have to.

Enough stuff?  When you're going solo in a Tahoe, space isn't an issue.  Packing list:
-tent
-air mattress (one that fits in the back of the Tahoe)
-sheets/blankets/pillow (a sleeping bag makes me claustrophobic).  I am told it could be 70 degrees at night or it could be 40 degrees so you have to plan for both
-towels/washcloths
-quarters (this is apparently the way the campground rations water = they charge a quarter for 3 min of shower time.  I figure it will take me $1 just to rinse shampoo out of my hair!)
-riding clothes (Shag, the parts guy at the Harley service dept asked me how many tshirts I was taking...I said "one for everyday"...he says "NO!  Just take 2, you can wash them.  Maybe if I was riding I'd worry about condensing
-rain gear
-flashlight, booklight - debated borrowing an LED lantern
-electronics

The list gets longer....beginning to think a hotel would have been easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment